As the breeze turns cold and the air smells of crackling fires, we turn to coats, boots, bags, and scarves.
What Makes Fashion Vegan?
Bundle Up: Coats
A quality coat is one you’ll wear all autumn-into-winter long, but that doesn’t mean you have to have just one! Here are some of our favorites for ladies and gents, in styles that owned the runway and are versatile enough for every occasion:
- Classic and Polished: Vaute Couture’s Belden in V-Velveteen. Warm, sophisticated, and wear-anywhere in oodles of rich colors. This coat is an investment piece you’ll wear with joy for many seasons ($300). Looking for a more affordable fix? The H&M Short Coat (pictured above, $50) in grey has a striking high collar and simple silhouette that is perfect for work or play.
- Leather-Like: Colored leather took over the fall runways, and you can easily get the look without the meanness or the price tag. BLANKNYC’s Faux Leather Jacket ($98) in red is cropped and embellished in all the right places for a fine balance of feminine and slick. If you want a longer coat, the Ark & Co. Special Agent Coat in Midnight Green $105) is the belted vegan trench coat of your dreams. H&M’s Coat with Quilted Sleeves ($60) is a beautiful mix of quilted faux leather and canvas, and I will be buying it promptly after finishing this newsletter.
- Military-Inspired: Dress the Stussy Vegan Leather-Sleeved Surplus Coat ($115) up with a flowy dress, motorcycle boots, and a romantic scarf to complete that grunge-romantic look. Not digging the camo? Check out the Margot Hooded Oversized Parka ($99) or this Forever21 Hooded Parka ($45) for all of the function, but less of the fuss.
- Casual Weekend: Body-conscious fit? Check. Supple faux leather? Check. Cozy sweatshirt hood? Check. The Jack by BB Dakota Kaia Walnut Hooded Jacket ($57) will take you from midday apple-picking, to the playground with the kids, to a dive-bar concert, and for a song, too. Denim is always a classic, and with its snuggly fleece interior and generous length, the BDG Sherpa-Lined Trucker Jacket ($89) is just begging to be taken out for hot apple cider.
- Outdoorsy: Don’t let the name fool you, this BDG Waxed Canvas Hunting Jacket is made for campfires and animal-snuggling (not hunting) in vegan materials ($179). And who says shearling has to come from lambs? Patagonia’s Arctic Jacket ($139) is not only on sale, but is also made to withstand chilly weather without any animal byproducts. Same goes for the Central Park Concert Jacket, which gives a classic shearling look sans the cruelty ($78).
- For the Gentlemen: Thankfully, the selection of compassionate, work-worthy coats for men has improved dramatically, and we’re loving these for work, play, and everything in between: Levi’s Racer Faux Leather Jacket ($70), with its cozy hood, will take you from day-to-night, casually. Vaute’s Stargazer ($319) and Whitman ($375) have you covered for professional shindigs, while the insulated Williams Jacket ($412) will keep you looking sleek and stylish, no matter the occasion.
Walk Softly: Boots + Shoes
Shoes for the Gals:
- Boots: Go Portland-in-the-early-90′s with these Cri de Coeur Demi Lace-up Buckle Boots ($180), be preppy with these melissa Convertible Riding Boots ($199), or get racy with these sky-high Neuaura Nyssa Vegan Boots ($158).
- Heels: I could talk heels all day, but here are a few the whet your shoe-addicted appetite. The Olsenhaus Ninja Lizard ($155) and Beyond Skin Smartie Pump ($101) are perfect for work, while the peep-toe melissa Spike heels ($155) are fun and edgy for a night out.
- Casual: Can’t you just imagine these Drew Metallic Oxfords ($135), Keep’s The Homer Shoe in Matagami ($50), or these Reneu Nsia Flats ($90) paired with cropped skinnies and a cozy cardigan? Extra credit goes to Nicora Johns, whose shoes, including these adorable Sally’s ($148), are sustainably handmade in the USA by artisans who are paid a fair wage.
- Interesting: The Adelaide Back Zip Bootie in Gold ($160) was a huge hit on the Fox segment and add just enough bling to your look and the Bijou Platform Loafer ($120) are a fabulous wooden-heeled, 60′s statement with opaque tights. Olsenhaus’ Starlight Space Print Heel ($155) will show you’re sexy, but also interested in astronomy. Sure, the melissa Doris ($80) is a jelly shoe, but don’t let that stop you from pairing it with the season’s menswear trousers (Hepburn-style, baby) and tights now, and then with shorts and sundresses in the spring.
Shoes for the Guys:
- Professional: If your workplace is the type where jackets are required and golf-talk is the norm, sport these Brave Gentleman Advocate Loafers ($280), Dennis Shoes ($165), or the Owen Oxford by Novacas ($170). If your office is more laid back, these Monroe Oxfords ($45) or Allister’s ($180) will do nicely.
- Boots: The Brian Boot from Novacas ($100) and the Defender Boot by Brave Gentleman ($300) can be dressed up or down, while the Steel-Toe 14-Eye Boot by Vegetarian Shoes ($200) is pure don’t-mess-with-me rock-and-roll.
- Casual: Pair the Adams Sneaker ($50), fleecy Tom’s Cardones in Forest Green ($74), or sleek Leroy Lace-Ups ($148) with your jeans for walking the rescue pup or running errands.
Wear Your Heart on Your Arm: Bags for All Occasions
Your handbag or briefcase is your closest companion. Whether you switch it up to suit your mood or outfit, or stay with your steady, these bags will fulfill your every need:
- Everyday Steady: The A Diamond A Day Bag ($45) offers delicious pattern and texture, with the functionality of interior pockets and cross-body strap, all with a doable price tag. The Asta Tote ($105) boasts pattern, texture, and color in perfect, affordable, roomy harmony.
- Luxe: The X Marks the Spotlight Bag by Deux Lux ($154) has enough space for your stuff, with a gilded flair. For a more affordable, but nonetheless polished statement, the Small Bag (pictured above, $50) from H&M in rich navy has the right styling and gold hardware to fool any bag snob. Exotic skins were hot on the runway, but we all know how cruel the real thing can be. If you love the look, check out this bag from H&M ($50), which has all the glitz without the nasties.
- Clutch: Leave it to GUNAS to bring you the Birdie 2 ($150), which has just enough Gatsby-inspired glam to keep your LBD interesting, and the Admiral ($350) which is full-on decked-out with gorgeous embellishments. Want to majorly splurge and carry what the celebs like Anne Hathaway and Carrie Underwood do? Check out Jill Milan’s line of luxe vegan bags. And be sure to pick me up a Holland Park Clutch ($1,700) while you’re at it. If you’re looking for an affordable accent, this perforated vegan Clutch Bag ($35) from H&M or Neon Pop Clutch ($20) from Forever21 are sleek complements to any attire. For a Downton Abbey-style shindig, nab Shiraleah’s Donatella Crossbody Clutch (pictured below, $50). Extra feel-good bonus? Proceeds from this and other purchases go to help a center for disabled children in Hanoi, Vietnam.
- Professional / Office: The unisex Chopper bag ($150 – $399) from GUNAS is surprisingly lightweight for boasting ample compartments for your laptop, tablet, and life’s other necessities. The Parker Brief Bag ($120) is polished and loaded with pockets, perfect for work and travel. A sunny color and structured style make the Claret Bordeaux Bag ($145) a great office companion.
- Casual Functional: The AlvaDoRight Emerson Tote is Forrest ($90) is not only handmade, unisex, and stylish, but it’s roomy enough to be a great gym or travel tote or diaper bag. Best part? It folds up for easy packing. American Eagle’s Paneled Glitter Tote ($40) is a great mix of sparkly and casual. Lululemon’s Happy Hatha Hour Bag ($118) is perfect for gym-to-work commuters.
- Funky: Give your ensemble a dose of fun with GUNAS’ Tartan bag ($225), faux leather fringe like that in this Cri de Coeur Cullen Bag ($190), or some gold studs, like The Limited’s Stud Trim Satchel ($70).
Honorable Mention: Things We’re Loving Now
Things we love? Yeah, we have quite a few. And here are some vegan clothing companies that are making a big splash.
- Miakoda: Organic, handmade, vegan clothing that is perfect for cuddling in or going out. Fall favorites include their slouchy and stylish Sweatshirt Dress ($256), hand-crocheted Tabi Socks ($42), and Classic Cotton Leggings ($98). These are pieces that will keep you warm and anchor your wardrobe for seasons to come.
- Brave Gentleman: It used to be that “vegan suits” meant having to settle for cheap-looking polyester or grandpa’s hand-me-down. Not so, with Brave Gentleman on the scene (you might remember Josh’s awesome shoes and accessories, too), gorgeously tailored suits in fashion-forward fabrications mean that you will, yet again, reclaim your title as the best dressed gent in the office.
- Atelier Tammam: Fear not, vegan brides. Atelier Tammam makes bespoke vegan gowns for all occasions, whether you’re walking down the aisle or the red carpet. British designer, Lucy Tammam has been dressing the UK’s animal-loving celebrities and now her creations are available to us, too.